Where will you be going in 2016? Well we’ve been through our search data to reveal the ten up-and-coming destinations for 2016, all increasing in popularity over the last twelve months. First, we looked at the overseas destinations during 2015, then, we compared these to searches made during 2014, and selected ten destinations with the highest increase in hotel searches.
Trends in the data suggest that the tides are turning and the East is now the new West. With renewed interest in Asia, and Dubai now a major stopover for Europe-bound passengers, your 2016 may just involve lazing on a Hawaiian island, venturing further afield of Tokyo, or enjoying some Emirati hospitality.
1. Queenstown, New Zealand[caption id="attachment_2647" align="aligncenter" width="1200"] Queenstown, New Zealand | Photo by Paul Bica (CC BY 2.0)[/caption]
The Adventure Capital of the World proves to be a big hit well into 2016. It seems we Aussies can’t get enough of sky diving, mountain trekking, water sports on Lake Wakatipu, skiing or wandering around some of our favourite Lord of the Rings sets. Queenstown is the crowd pleaser that never fails to impress.
Find hotel deals in Queenstown here.
2. Phuket, Thailand[caption id="attachment_2648" align="aligncenter" width="1200"] White sand and clear water in Phuket | Photo by Nicholas Vollmer (CC BY 2.0)[/caption]
Phuket is Thailand’s largest island surrounded by the crystal-clear Andaman Sea. The pristine white sandy beaches, incredible diving spots and great food accompanied by exciting nightlife make Phuket an appealing destination for both groups of friends or family holidays.
Search for hotels in Phuket here.
3. Osaka, Japan[caption id="attachment_2649" align="aligncenter" width="1200"] The Osaka skyline | Photo by Loïc Lagarde (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0)[/caption]
Travel trends towards Japan are soaring, unlike the Yen which is rapidly falling, making Japan a relatively cost-effective vacation. The alternative to Tokyo, Osaka is a bustling and vibrant city where cherry blossoms, sumo wrestling, skyscrapers and ancient temples all blend together seamlessly.
Search for hotels in Osaka here.
4. Kyoto, Japan[caption id="attachment_2650" align="aligncenter" width="1200"] Kyoto by night | Photo by www.karlocamero.com (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0)[/caption]
Kyoto is a beautiful city west of Tokyo, filled with traditional temples, countless shrines and beautiful architecture reminiscent of Ancient Japan. In autumn the city’s carefully groomed gardens come alive with autumnal colours. Picture quaint Japanese temples surrounded by fiery red and orange leaves, with their colours reflected in the still pools.
Find a hotel in Kyoto here.
5. Honolulu, Hawaii[caption id="attachment_2651" align="aligncenter" width="1200"] Waikiki Beach | Photo by Edmund Garman (CC BY 2.0)[/caption]
A party destination and the gateway to the Hawaiian islands, Honolulu is great for city living combined with fabulous beaches for surfing. From Honolulu on Oahu Island, you can also fly to the smaller islands of Maui, Kuai or Molokai where you can explore volcanoes, rainforests or just ‘hang loose’ on the beach.
Find a hotel in Honolulu here.
6. Dubai, United Arab Emirates
The City of Gold, Dubai is on everyone’s bucket list from seeing the tallest building in the world, to living like a king at the infamous all-day brunches. The best times to visit Dubai are October through to April as the summer months can be stifling. Whilst there, check out the Atlantis Water Park for a good day out.
Search for your ideal hotel in Dubai here.
7. Auckland, New Zealand[caption id="attachment_2654" align="aligncenter" width="1200"] Bustling city of Auckland | Photo by Slyamalan (CC BY-ND 2.0)[/caption]
The ease of hopping over to New Zealand is unbeatable and with so much to do it’s not difficult to see why we’d want to explore this magical haven further! Lush forests are home to great hiking and outdoor activities, whilst fabulous beaches and a flourishing culinary culture will leave you wanting for nothing. Popping across to New Zealand is the perfect year-round getaway.
Find your ideal hotel in Auckland here.
8. Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam[caption id="attachment_2656" align="aligncenter" width="1200"] Delicious Vietnamese street food | Photo by guido da rozze (CC BY-ND 2.0)[/caption]
Ho Chi Minh (Saigon) is Vietnam’s capital and is buzzing with life. The city is filled with Vietnamese culture from temples to food markets, but Ho Chi Minh also has lots to offer history buffs interested in the events of the last century, including touring the underground tunnels and Room5g out the museums.
Search for a great deal in Ho Chi Minh here.
9. Nadi, Fiji
Nadi is full of Pacific Island vitality, from the warm air smothering you as soon as you step off the plane, to the incredible beaches, locally-sourced and delicious food, and a jumping music scene featuring anything from reggae vibes to Ukulele.
Look for great deals in Nadi here.
10. Bali[caption id="attachment_2660" align="aligncenter" width="1200"] Rice paddies in Bali | Photo by Yann Pinczon du Sel (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0)[/caption]
Bali is an old favourite but nothing beats the definition of paradise. To escape the crowds, head to central Bali for mountains, rice paddies, waterfalls and centuries–old trees – the list of marvels is endless. Bali’s place in the top ten for 2016 is well-deserved.
Search for hotels in Bali here.
Where will you be going in 2016? Let us know in the comments below!